Andrew is an Associate of the Firm. He graduated from the University of Warwick (2nd Upper Hons) and was called to the Singapore Bar in May 2019.
Andrew’s main practice area is in acting as counsel for insurers in various classes of insurance policies. In particular, he is adept at advising his clients on their rights and liabilities arising out of public liability, professional indemnity and all-risks insurance policies.
As counsel for insurers, Andrew’s practice spans a wide range of subject matter such as complex technical disputes, construction disputes, fire-related disputes, and disputes involving personal injury and death.
Besides acting for insurers, Andrew also has substantial expertise in general litigation matters relating to shareholder disputes, licensing disputes, disputes involving credit agreements, and regulatory and advisory work.
Andrew also has prior experience with non-contentious work in the areas of corporate and commercial transactions and private client matters. These involved a wide range of commercial matters from tenancy agreements, shareholder agreements and franchising agreements, to more personal matters such as succession planning.
- Advising and acting for insurers for a statutory board involving the passing of a visitor to a public park. The matter proceeded to the Singapore High Court, and Andrew was involved in a specific discovery application. The matter was ultimately settled out of Court.
- Advising and acting for insurers relating to an industrial incident involving the loss of equipment in the context of land reclamation.
- Advising and acting for insurers of a company which premises were damaged in a fire originating from neighbouring property. This matter involved highly technical analysis and required liaising with fire experts.
- Advising and acting for a large multinational corporation involving a dispute over a licensing agreement. The matter was arbitrated under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce, and involved complex technical issues and wide-ranging discovery. The matter was ultimately settled.
- Acted for an individual in a matter involving the recovery of credit issued to him by a casino. This matter touched on numerous issues and concepts including but not limited to the validity of credit agreements, statutory interpretation, attribution of knowledge, and unconscionability. The matter was ultimately settled.
- Acting for and advising a large multinational corporation on mechanisms to deal with acts of oppression committed by their joint venture partner.
- Acting for and advising a large Singapore-listed entity on their obligations under the SGX Listing Manual and Securities and Futures Act 2001.
- Acting in the sale of a successful warehousing business in Singapore to a multinational corporation.
- Advised and acted for an elderly business owner to formulate plans and mechanisms for the distribution of her wealth following her passing, due to the conflicts between her children.
- Assisting in the drafting of franchise agreements for an F&B business in Singapore intending to franchise its business in other parts of Asia.
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law